Carp of the Day

home | archives
"Indeed, the rage of theorists to make constitutions a vehicle for the conveyance of their own crude, and visionary aphorisms of government, requires to be guarded against with the most unceasing vigilance."
     -- Joseph Story
     Commentaries on the Constitution of the United States
     Book III, § 1857.
 

Friday, July 23, 2004

Here's a rarity: A post that's not a response to anything, except perhaps a deadline, which in this case is the opening of the DNC next week.

The sense I've had for a long while now of the tenor of public debate is, the lunatic fringe on the left has deliberately and thoroughly talked itself out of what last few remaining scruples it had. So here's my -- well, "prediction" is the wrong word -- for what it's worth. It's not that I expect there to be violence at the Conventions, nor that I will be surprised if there isn't; it's just, there's no way in hell I'd bet against it happening.

I don't have any specific convincing evidence I can point at for this -- well, "conclusion" is the wrong word, too. All I have to go on is a general distillation from my browsing around the Internet, observing the news, and the reaction to the news, and the discussion of the news, and the reaction to the discussion, and so on. And what I see is a lynch mob straight out of The Mysterious Stranger, its members cheering each other over the brink; each vying with all the others in the measure of his exertion, though it carry him to his destruction; each person on guard against all the others, poised to trample anyone who shows the slightest sign of changing course; each hoping against all knowledge that the cliff they're rapidly approaching isn't really all that high.

-- posted by Clayton 7/23/2004 08:45:00 PM


 

Links

 

For the more forensically inclined