Carp of the Day

home | archives
"Indeed, the rage of theorists to make constitutions a vehicle for the conveyance of their own crude, and visionary aphorisms of government, requires to be guarded against with the most unceasing vigilance."
     -- Joseph Story
     Commentaries on the Constitution of the United States
     Book III, § 1857.
 

Wednesday, September 15, 2004

A couple of things.

First, re-reading that last post, something in the back of my mind said, "The model number on that Linotron was 202, not 200." Hey, this was twenty years ago; for all I know, it may be right. In any case, it's not important enough to go looking it up.

Second, I've decided to experiment with the comment facility here. I have decided its tenure, like that of Federal judges, shall be dum bene se gesserit, so behave. I do not hold with the promulgation of rules for such things, as there are too many persons nowadays for which a rules list means only, permission to push the boundaries to the limit. I will, however, delete anything I choose, without warning and without appeal. Comments are currently open to everyone, since I find registration just as annoying and intrusive as the next guy. If I see spam, though, or anonymous abuse, I will start locking things down.

-- posted by Clayton 9/15/2004 10:51:00 PM


Comments: 4

  1. On September 16, 2004 7:09 PM, Blogger Clayton said…

    ... 'Course, there'd have to be some comments, first...

     
  2. On September 17, 2004 1:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I think everybody is trying to figure out what "dum bene se gesserit" means....

     
  3. On September 17, 2004 9:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It's law-Latin for "during good behavior."

    I came across it when I read Blackstone's Commentaries, and immediately thought to myself, "So that's where Frank Herbert got it."

     
  4. On September 17, 2004 9:59 PM, Blogger Clayton said…

    Sorry about that. That last comment was mine. I tried the preview button, and didn't notice it set me over to "anonymous."

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Links

 

For the more forensically inclined